Bio Products Laboratory (BPL) has a new opportunity for an Automation & Controls Engineer to join the Process Engineering department.
The BPL Process Engineering and Automation team has been growing rapidly over the past few years to develop an in-house expert technical core to serve capital projects and continuous improvement activities on site.
The successful candidate will work with this team in developing and delivering exceptional, effective and efficient service to internal customers. The Automation Engineer will have the opportunity to gain first-hand experience with a wide range of existing control systems whilst also supporting site capital projects, and the development of the site automation strategy, standards and policies.
Key duties & responsibilities –
- Responsible for providing hands-on automation systems engineering support for both cGMP and non-GMP processes to ensure the required plant availability and yield performance.
- To ensure that all process and equipment automation systems are maintained in an operational and compliant state and technical issues are resolved quickly through effective problem solving so that they meet the needs of the business.
- Provide hands-on diagnostic troubleshooting on PLC/SCADA systems and manage root-cause investigations to minimise critical production and operation downtime
- Support capital projects from concept and design stage, through to installation, testing and validation by providing technical input and writing/reviewing project documentation.
- Support development of site automation policies and procedures to industry best practice
- Support continuous improvement programme for computerised systems and automated equipment which meets best practice and complies with regulatory and quality needs including GAMP, EU GMP Volume 4 Annex11, 21 CFR 11 regulations and data integrity
- Lead obsolescence and reliability assessments and develop maintenance and upgrade programmes to ensure that equipment is fully utilised to ensure availability and yield
- Assist in creating and administering disaster recovery procedures for automated systems through regular reviews of disaster recovery procedures, ensuring availability of spares and proposing solutions for systems requiring replacement or upgrade.
- Manage, perform and approve administration activities on automation systems – Backup/Restore, Archive/Retrieval, Manage User Security, Performance Monitoring, Preventative Maintenance, Malware protection and Periodic Review.
- Participate in development, testing and implementation of Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC), operator interfaces and Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) application software for utility processes, equipment and systems.
Experience and attributes to make you successful in the role –
- Degree Level education in electrical/electronic engineering
- Experience working in the Pharmaceutical industry, preferably in a sterile manufacturing environment with experience of biochemical processing unit operations is desirable however not a must
- Knowledge of GAMP, GMP Volume 4 Annex11 and 21 CFR 11; and understanding of cGMP and GEP
- Demonstrated experience with control and automation systems specification, programming and optimization (ideally S7/PCS7)
- Experience in SCADA application software development
- Knowledge of Automation IT based networks – Ethernet, Profibus, Fieldbus and Modbus
- Hands on knowledge of programming & software with an ability to understand Mechanical & Electrical systems within manufacturing applications
BPL aspire to be the leader in our field and since privatising from the NHS in 2013, BPL has gone through huge change and growth. We are an organisation where our products change people’s lives, and the purpose of our work is lived and breathed through its people.
In return we offer –
Competitive salary, and benefits to include a performance related bonus
- Life Insurance
- 25 days holiday
- On-site parking and a subsidised restaurant
Please apply today for immediate consideration.