Bio Products Laboratory is recruiting a part time Lab Assistant on a 12 months fixed term contract to join the Research & Development department to support the BPL’s Scientists on-site in Elstree, Herts.
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone with a meticulous attention to detail who would thrive in a “hands-on” role that is extremely important within the business and underpins the whole R&D department.
To succeed in the Lab Assistant role, you will need to be self-motivated and have laboratory experience working within Pharma, Food or FMCG, have a willingness to learn new procedures within a lab environment, and be a team player and highly organised.
We are flexible with the hours and can accommodate 2.5 days a week or 5 half days, whichever suits you best.
Key duties & responsibilities include;
- Responsible for assisting in the management of R&D Departmental archives.
- Performing competently a variety of basic biological techniques e.g. cell culture.
- Assist R&D staff with routine work. Prepare and check reagents e.g. buffers and cell culture media.
- To set-up and operate automated and semi-automated equipment in compliance with approved procedures and in accordance with agreed R&D programmes.
- Checking air flows of fume cupboards, safety cabinets & UDAF (Unidirectional Airflow cabinet).
- Assist in the validation, routine maintenance and calibration of equipment in accordance with approved procedures. Assist in co-ordinating site visits from contract service engineers.
- Maintaining equipment and work areas in a clean and tidy condition.
- Washing, drying and preparation of laboratory glassware containers and other equipment according to Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- General laboratory/Pilot Plant housekeeping, including cleaning of benches, floors and walls.
- Empty waste bins, refill liquid Nitrogen dewars, monitor & replenish Ethanol and CO2 Disposal of waste in accordance with approved procedures; to include disposal of infectious Biosafety waste via operation of the Biosafety autoclave.
- Follow written procedures such as standard operating procedures (SOPs) and study plans.
- Maintain a high standard of work, in accordance with the requirements of relevant standards e.g. Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP), Good laboratory Practice (GLP) or BPL Standard Laboratory Practice (SLP). Contribute to audits.
- Document activities accurately, clearly, immediately and in accordance with approved procedures.
- Responsible for stock control in area of responsibility and the ordering of laboratory supplies and consumables.
- Responsible for ensuring that in area of responsibility allocated equipment/instrumentation is maintained, serviced and calibrated and that associated records are in compliance at all times.
In return we offer;
- Competitive salary plus bonus
- Life Insurance
- 25 days holiday
- On-site free parking, with a subsidised restaurant
This is an exciting time to join BPL, a company that provides a continuous supply of reliable, high quality plasma-derived products worldwide, supporting both healthcare professionals and patients every day.
Please apply today for immediate consideration.